Thursday, September 2, 2010

"For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope."

Posted by Mauree Brooksher at 6:25 PM
Our Papa, Steven sent out this email last week:

I want to let you know that I am officially leaving St. Aloysius as Director of Youth Ministries around January 1st 2011. I have LOVED everything about working here at St. Aloysius and working with all of you. It saddens me to think about not being youth minister to all of you next year, but I know it is time for me to move on and allow someone else to continue our vision here at St. Aloysius. I am excited to see all of you step up to the challenge! This past week I have had several meetings with Fr. Burns, Deacon Johnny Veron, and parishioners about the future of youth ministry at our parish. It is of UTMOST importance to me that our programs continue and stay strong. For this reason, I have committed to the parish to leave by January, so that they can financially commit to hiring the new person hopefully by October/November to assist me and learn how everything is run here before I leave. The parish staff is forming a hiring committee for the position that is opening. I don’t anticipate being asked to be involved in this process, but they will probably ask an adult volunteer and a YLT member to be on the committee. Please encourage anyone you know that you think would be gifted and interested in applying to be our new Director of Youth Ministries to send in a resume. Also, please join me in praying for this process and for our anticipated next youth minister!

I want to THANK all of you for your yes to serve our parish and for you faith in me as youth minister over the years. It has been a blessing for me to serve you in this capacity, and I will miss ALL of you very much….even though I do hope to stay involved if the situation permits me to.

In Christ’s love,

Steven H. Brooksher, Jr.

Director of Youth Ministries

St. Aloysius Catholic Church


Steven and I have discerned his calling over the last year give or take a few months; however, we knew in our hearts that God was calling him to move into another job. We of course went back in forth with trying to figure out if he was suppose to leave St. Aloysius and if our reasons for him leaving were truly God's call. But it came down to realizing that in order for us to support a family he would have to move into a new profession, especially since we both agreed it was best that I stay home with our children at first. It is a very bittersweet feeling for both of us. It is very sad to leave his job in youth ministry since he has so many close relationships with the kids and their families. It is also very sad because his job is so very important. It is so important because he is helping kids to come to know Christ and to grow in their own Catholic faith. However, we both agree that God has worked through Steven. We know that the Lord prepares the called; he doesn't call the prepared. Therefore, we have hope and trust that God is going to call someone else to continue on the work Steven has began at St. Aloysius. When Steven started at St. Aloysius youth group was mainly a small group of kids who gathered to play games and have pizza. The youth group has come a LONG was since then. For example, the Fall retreat is this weekend. There are 100 kids attending and there is a FULL wait list of kids hoping to get to go! The retreat will be full of teachings, sacraments, and fellowship. I am almost done reading a book my mother gave me called, The Rhythm of Life. The book talks about how to be the best version of yourself and to live with passion and purpose. The chapter I read last is called "The Enemy of Excellence: Minimalism". I couldn't help but think of Steven. The 2nd to last paragraph reads:

"Building character is a task only for the brave and dedicated. There are no shortcuts when it comes to building character. If you wish to cure minimalism in your own life, to develop a complete commitment to excellence and an absolute rejection of mediocrity, the question you need to start asking yourself is, "What is the most I can do?"

Well, I know our dear Papa answered the Lord's call to be the director of youth ministry at St. Aloysius. He did not feel prepared at all. However, he certainly took a leap of faith. He's always asked the Lord, "What is the most I can do for the youth of St. Aloysius?" (like the books talks about) Through many trials with the program at times he never gave up on his ability to serve the youth! Through his dedication to the youth and his acceptance of the Holy Spirit there are now hundreds of kids who know Christ personally and believe in the Catholic faith. Even though he is leaving St. Aloysius he will remain in spirit. We will both miss him working there, but we know that the Lord has other plans for our family in mind. We are grateful for the opportunity he had at St. Aloysius and we won't ever forget all that both of us have learned through this incredible ministry! We are also very excited to see where God is calling him to serve next so that he can provide for our family. Our journey together has already been so exciting since we got married and had our first child. We know the journey will only get better! Christopher and I love you Papa!

Much Love and Many Blessings,

Mauree

0 comments:

Post a Comment